Alviso was first settled in the 1700s. The community was named for Ignacio Alviso, the son of Corporal Domingo Alviso.
The city of Alviso was incorporated on March 4, 1852, as the boating and shipping port of San José and the transportation hub for the Santa Clara Valley to the San Francisco Bay. Steamboats traveled regularly between San Francisco and Alviso. That usage declined with the growth in railroad transportation between San Francisco and San José. In 1864 Alviso was bypassed by the San Francisco-San Jose Railroad, (later part of the Southern Pacific Railroad). However in the 1880′s Alviso was a stop on the Newark line of Southern Pacific Railroad between San José and Oakland.
Alviso was consolidated into San Jose in March 12 1968.